Monday, January 27, 2014

Today's walk report: 012714

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault~

That was the basic theme of my day, aside from some ackward and rather heavy lifting around the house trying to create order without simply chucking stuff in the trash.

I spent a good deal of time outside and while I don't seem to have much of a garden in the wide shot I'm finding all sorts of things to marvel at up close. Today I made myself tiny. I became my camera and entered a microcosm inside my front yard.

This continued into my walk. Mostly pictures, not a lot of ID'ing stuff either because for many I just don't know.

Right outside the front door...


A few more meters, I'm on the sidewalk now. African daisies, Dimorphotheca sinuata or Dimorphotheca aurantiaca.


Baby Snapdragon (Linaria maroccana), right next to the daisies.


Oleander about a block into the walk.


From a distance you may have thought this rose was old and tired. Come in close, it's alive.


A tiny flower on some hedges.


Ever make a wish on a dandelion?


The dried up spent fruit of the sweetgum tree. Last February I rolled my left foot on one of these and went for a tumble, fortunately sans camera.


No ID.


No ID #2.


This is a fruit tree on campus. I don't recall actually seeing the fruit though. Maybe a plum?


Yesterday I mentioned the scarlet bugler (Penstemon centranthifolius) was blooming, here's a photo.


I also mentioned another hummingbird favorite, Grevillea olivacea.


This young egret is a contrast to the little things above but is quite diminutive compared to the egret I usually saw back in October-December, seen here and here and in other posts too. Perhaps an offspring?


Australian Native Wattle Tree.


No ID #3 or is it 4?


Some sage. Maybe a variety of Salvia clevelandii. I don't know, mine all died.


The 1st image here was ID'd last year as Aloe striata "Coral Aloe." I'll double check the other one another day. I don't believe they're the same.



That's a lot of pictures, my eyes are tired. Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. The 1st unidentified plant may be some form of Duranta erecta. The flowering tree looks like it may be Pyrus calleryana (ornamental pear). I can't tell about the others, although the orange flowers in the last 2 pictures look like some kind of Aloe.

    ReplyDelete