Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Today's walk report: 012114

Britney Spears' hose...

But 1st. Here's male Anna's #1 again reliably perched in the Caesalpinia gilliesii bush.


and here's Britney's hose. This is Keith, he maintains the botanical garden at the local college. I asked him today where he buys hoses, this line of questioning based on my report yesterday. He told me he gets salvaged hoses. The black hose he was using before this picture was a customer return at a nearby nursery he also works at. Returned because it turns ones hands black and indeed it did. Then he says this one was Britney Spears' hose and that it was salvaged after damage during a fire near her home in Calabasas. Calabasas is also the location of the nursery.


I didn't pay enough attention to the story to provide any more details. Feel thankful.

Anyway, I spent most of the time out on the walk chatting with Keith, getting feedback on the garden and some current "upgrades." I got some plant IDs but also already forgot some of them. I was glad to see him watering. I've been somewhat concerned about that with the current situation on the drought here in SoCal and also because he's only part time in the garden. There's an old drip system but he says it's shot and that's what I imagined. He confirmed one other thing... there's a weasel in the garden. I saw this animal for about 2.5 seconds one day months ago and thought, that's not a ground squirrel, what the heck... But it was gone. It was standing up, ground squirrels don't stand up. It was also lighter in color. This image is for illustration purposes. I found it on the web without a photo credit. Consider it a place marker and it will be replaced if I can capture an image of "our weasel." That's a goal.


The conversation cut the walk short. I think I covered about 6.59 km. It was a nice conversation. I learned a few things.

No comments:

Post a Comment