Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Today's walk report: 011514

85, 85, 83, 82, 80, 81, 83, 80, 79, 77.
Those numbers represent predicted highs from today over 10 days. This is NOT a good thing. More on this in a moment.

Meanwhile, it was back to the rigors of a full, 8.79 km, campus walk today. I'm still taking it slow, trying to recuperate from a nagging and rather disgusting mucosal aftermath of a cold virus. I slept this afternoon after running a few errands one of which involved smogging a vehicle so I wasn't on foot this time. By sleeping I don't mean napping, I was out for a few hours. This related to AM coughing waking me up when I'm really not ready. Nevertheless, slow and methodical on the walk, taking every opportunity to pause, look around and try to find a photo op.

There weren't many.

85º brings out a winter dragonfly. I don't recall seeing dragonflies last winter. I believe this is a Variegated Meadowhawk.


Another angle. Try as I might I could not get close enough to this guy (I think it's male) to get a shot with my close-up attachment and I was maneuvering around in some territory where tree & bush branches plus some nasty agave weren't very accommodating.


The plant, by the way, is dried up silver sage remnants left over from summer. Fresh growth on the silver sage is coming in nicely already.


Anybody waiting on a package?


Back home. Every few days now I see a new flower popping up from the seed I scattered in October. I lost a lot of seedlings during a few days of December frost. It's hard to believe now that just a month ago we had dipped down to the upper 20ºs. I ended up ordering another 1 lb, two different 1/2 lb mixes, of wildflower seed today to try and offset my losses.

Arriving today. Baby Snapdragon, Linaria maroccana.


and about to open, Arroyo Lupine, Lupinus succulentus.


No comments:

Post a Comment