Saturday, June 29, 2013

Today's walk report: 062913

Brutal.

We hit 107º today, I went out walking after 7 PM and at 95.5º--it sucked.

To top things off with the Tour de France starting today I was up at 2:30 AM after finally dozing off sometime past midnight. I napped some with 100 km left in the race and I napped a little more after thinking I needed to be productive, clean house and go out and at least check up on the yard--make sure plants weren't bursting in flames. That was a big mistake. I got carried away with ripping out a bunch of woody alyssum and kept going after that. I was drained. Right now I'm struggling again to get some pictures up and then haul myself to bed. It's 11:30 PM and I'm setting an alarm for stage 2 of the TdF at 2:20 AM. Yikes!

I had this feeling I wasn't going to get anything interesting on camera and quickly responded to this guy turning onto the 1st block of my walk. I've seen him before, always on weekends. It appears he likes to do an early evening spin from time to time. It looks like fun, but at 6' 5" I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit.


Another sort of after thought capture, these are the grasses planted at the entrance to the campus. I was almost subconsciously taking pictures I think just to get something and get through the walk. This mark is about 1.2 km into the walk. That's usually where I kick into full gear and transcend issues if I have them but the weather was just kicking my ass.


I don't recall seeing these yesterday and there's a lot of them. My guess is they will bloom in a day and be dying the next. Stay turned tomorrow.


 En masse.


Remember the Century agave with the really tall stalk which that mockingbird is always on top of? Somebody cut the stalk down. Presumably this was to gather the bulbils (the offspring) but when they took down the Octopus agave stalks a year ago they left them on the ground so new plants could start in the same approximate location. This stalk went bye-bye.


 Octopus agave stalks May, 2012.


The bulbils from those stalks about 10 weeks later...


 Some bottlebrush (Callistemon) I've probably posted before.


 Creepy "furry" cactus thing.


Dying can be pretty too. Dying is a popular activity in the garden right now.


Tiny Water Gum (Tristaniopsis laurina) flowers. 


Another flashlight lit 3 image focus stack whilst also juggling 4 bowling pins and reciting the alphabet backwards. I WAS going to bring a few rubber bands to see about rigging the flashlight to my left hand but I forgot. Next time. Pink Evening Primrose (Oenothera speciosa.)


Kinda of an "eh" sunset.


Must sleep. Thanks for joining in on my walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment