Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Today's walk report: 061213

Changing lenses...

Yesterday's walk report points out day 1 with a new camera. That obviously means today was day 2 with the new camera... considering I managed to make an entry on this time-suck of a blog everyday since 041913. Anyway, yesterday I went out with a Canon 60mm, macro lens. Today I took my favorite "combo," which is a Canon 70-300mm and a Canon 500D close-up lens. The 500D isn't much bigger than a filter, it fits in the same sort of plastic twist-open case as a filter and that fits perfectly in my pants pocket. I have a nice JanSport Coltrane "fanny pack" which can easily hold both of these lenes and then I can have the stock 18-55mm on the camera but I prefer to travel sort of bare bones. The Coltrane is nice for a Sunday when I head out early and plan to hang somewhere along the walk. Longer walks also mean bringing water so the pack comes in handy once again, holding 700ml water bottle on each side pouch. By the way, for 8-10km walks I typically drink about 1 liter water within about 1 hour of the walk and probably drink about 2 liters from the time I get home until bedtime. During the day I usually drink another 2 liters of water, coffee not included. Did you add that up? That's 5 liters of water a day.

Back to the camera. The most obvious difference to me today relates some to the 1st thing I noticed yesterday, that was the difference in shooting 5fps compared to my old camera at 3.7fps, burst mode. What I noticed today, perhaps exacerbated by the longer lens was how much louder the shutter is. Certainly it must be more robust in some way to handle the extra shooting speed but it's loud enough that it's going to take some getting used to. I'm also listening to an iPod while shooting and I'm not listening to meditation music. I think the hummingbirds notice it too.

Speaking of which. This wasn't focused too well but I really like the colors.


Sharper...


Sharper yet...


Another lizard...


Another bee on Melaleuca pallida (the only shot here with the 500D, close-up attachment)...


Another shot of Salvia uliginosa...
 

Another shot of the same mockingbird on the same flowering Century agave...


How do I know it's the same mockingbird? After doing this same basic walk for over two years now you start to get pretty darn familiar with all sorts of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment