Saturday, June 8, 2013

Today's walk report: 060813

Flora and fauna...

When I got to the 1 mile mark I saw the L.A. County Sheriff driving off about 80 yards south of me in a golf cart and noticed they were chasing after the coyote I wrote about yesterday. Better him than me I thought, even though I felt a negative vibe when they were returning. Read here if you missed the story on my civil rights being violated by that department of "law enforcement." The terrain was well suited for the escaping 'yote and not too keen for a golf cart. I still wonder why someone hasn't called in Animal Regulation over this, these animals aren't going to retreat miles away into the foothills on their own. Anyway, this got me thinking about all the critters on this campus which were never around when I was growing up here. We didn't even see tree squirrels around here when I was a kid let alone jack rabbits and coyotes. When the ground squirrels start moving into everyone's backyards and under their houses folks are going to start getting really upset. All signs of people encroaching into what was one their space. It's also going to backfire, these varmints are over populating and they aren't seeing natural predators for the most part.

Early into the walk I found this dragonfly struggling on the sidewalk. I thought it was dead but it wasn't. I've been wanting to capture some dragonfly shots but not like this. There was a woman coming up from the opposite side so I lifted him/her to safety onto some nearby plants.

Head scratching squirrel.


Allen's Hummingbird deep into the red mountain sage. Me too, had it all over my shirt and pants. It clings like Velcro.


 This was an effort to show the density of some of the sage, here, Salvia uliginosa. This is 15 focus stacked images, hand held. Just to give you an idea of the compactness of these plants and to give you an idea of how hard it is to get focus on a hummingbird sometimes. That's a lot of obstacles.

 A wild rose. This is one of those pictures I like because I know what I had to do to get here. I probably don't see beyond that.

To remind you, my camera is messed up. The sensor is permanently spotted, so again, a bunch of workarounds for a decent looking photo.


This bunny was not going to let my presence bother her. She was enjoying the sunset.






No comments:

Post a Comment