Sunday, November 17, 2013

Today's walk report: 111713

Wake the kids, violent animal behavior coming up.

But first...

I'm only posting a shot of this sage again because I posted the other day and didn't have the name. I knew the Bezerkeley nickname but still wasn't finding it on Google. Also it balances out the squirrel shots coming up.

 Salvia Microphylla 'Bezerkeley'


 This is the Mexican bush sage I mentioned yesterday. I've been trying to get a shot of the only hummingbird I've seen in the garden last few days feeding on this sage to no avail. Why? Because it would be a nice shot,  I cleared some "Bog sage," Salvia uliginosa from in front of it and, most importantly, there's a bench right in front. It's nice sometimes just to sit and take pictures. Anyway, it didn't happen. The hummingbird simply wouldn't come forward.


That would be this guy, Selasphorus rufus. By the way, I've tried cloning this sage before and I'm going to try again come spring. It does so much better than any other Mexican bush sage I've ever seen. This bird DOES like it, just not when I'm close enough for a decent photo.


Onto the kill. This surprised me because you don't typically see hawks ground level especially in streets or parking lots. I was also pretty far away when I 1st spotted the bird and it wasn't until I looked through the lens that I saw what was going on.


I was down a small dirt incline on the sidewalk below this parking area so I thought I'd at least try to step up into the lot. Mr. hawk was too pleased with my approach. By the way, I'm assuming this is the mister. I've posted this same hawk before. It's the largest of the 3 hawks I know of on the campus. I'm pretty sure they are family.

He reacts to my movement and I'm amazed that he can carry the squirrel in flight. That's also a pretty good sized squirrel.


Across the parking lot and the access road below to this spot is about 45 meters away. Yes, I measured it. I did that on Google Earth moments ago.


He is still rather perturbed by this guy with a camera and takes flight to the speed limit sign several feet away.


If you look carefully you'll see a little tuft of squirrel fur on his beak.


I'm starting to feel a little guilty now about interrupting dinner but want to take a few quick seconds and get a close up of the kill.

Aside from the blood he looks almost happy. No one's going to question my getting the gender right here.


The hawk moved to a tree just above the squirrel and watched me as I proceeded up the hill.

This young falcon is also becoming a regular sunset viewer up top of the hill. One of these days I'll get a good picture of it.


Looking Southwest, sunset and Venus.


Interesting condensation trail. Or for the conspiracy theory whack-jobs, a chemtrail. Yes, the government is trying to poison us all... please hurry and leave the country, OK?


According to camera data this was 291 meters away. With the naked eye I was thinking wtf is that?!?


Apparently this kid on the cross country course saw it coming down too.


No comments:

Post a Comment