Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Today's walk report: 111913

Red cubes.

I was curious about all of the red paper cubes sporadically distributed along most of my walk but I didn't want to take anyone's cube until I finally found one which had blown into the street. I seized the opportunity and grabbed it.


I could tell there was something inside but since I was walking a pretty good clip and it was getting dark I chose to flatten it and put it in my back pocket.

On my return down this street I also picked up a green flier which accompanied all of the cubes I saw. I had only glanced at it briefly before folding it and putting it in my other back pant's pocket.

The distribution of the red cubes and fliers was on 4 streets, 3 of these streets run 3 blocks and the 4th runs for two blocks and dead ends. I picked up my box on this 4th street which marks the famous 1/2-way mark of this particular walk. A rough estimate says that's 222 houses that got a box and a flier. That's a lot of folding to do and I know what that's like. I happen to have had some interest in my lifetime, on and off, in paper folding or doing Origami if you prefer. I have two books on the subject, both were gifts. One is called, The Encyclopedia of Origami and Papercraft Techniques by Paul Jackson and the other is The Buck Book: All Sorts of Things to do with a Dollar Bill-Besides Spend It by Anne Akers Johnson.

From the first book and in the same theme as the 2nd book, I made this which sits on my desk. I think I made it around 2008 but I made many of these cubeoctahedrons for several years before that. A cubeoctahedron has six square faces and eight triangular faces, four of which are triangular spaces and four of which are inverted pyramids.


From the 2nd book, the one on folding a dollar bill (or any denomination for that matter) there should be one of these around...


...unless somebody took it--again. People seem to like the elephant and it was my favorite one to fold from The Buck Book. I haven't made one for several years now. I used to make them at restaurants while waiting on the slower eaters in my company to be used as tip money. Most waiters and waitresses I saw picking up their tip would smile for the elephant.

So what was the deal with the red cubes? First here's the flier.


Taft is the High School I attended in the 70s. Candy Cane Lane is a area of streets that have traditionally gone sort of overboard on the holiday decoration front. I wrote about Candy Cane Lane, etc., here and it will be coming up again here soon. This year I'm going to try and get out with a tripod one night and do a night photo session. It's sort of frightening in a way because there are often a ludicrous number of cars going up and down these streets all driving with their lights off as not to distract from the glorious holiday lighting and their eyes are on the houses, not looking in front of them.

Finally, here's what was inside the red paper cube or did you already figure it out?


I forgot one of my prized paper folding books and this one has a special place on the living room coffee table.

No comments:

Post a Comment