Sunday, July 7, 2013

Today's walk report: 070713

Prologue (AKA, my AM excursion)...

First a correction on this. I had this flower as, a Nymphaea, water lily. It's actually a lotus flower, family Nelumbonaceae. Wikipedia seems to confirm this is a Sacred lotus, Nelumbo nucifera.

Yesterday I mentioned that I was going to check on the flower to see if it was open in the AM. If you don't know, don't care, haven't really thought about it, etc., I take my walks in the early evening. There are lots of water lilies in the main pond at the garden I visit. By the time I reach the garden they are closed for the night. This particular, lotus flower lives solo in a small memorial which was setup for one of the original curators of the botanical garden. It's called the Smallwood Fountain but I don't see how it's a fountain. I called it a pond/statue thing in a earlier post. Here's the dedication. The previous photos I posted of this plant are here and here.

Here are some of the photos I took this morning. I arrived at 10:15 AM. I took a car. There was minimal walking involved.



Hoverfly has an exclusive.


While I was at it...

(It's very far away
It takes about a half and a day to get there
If we travel by my uh, dragonfly )


The usual suspects in the pond.



Much later and onto the walk...

I didn't find much in the way of interesting photo ops. Most of what I took pictures of doesn't fit with what's above so just a couple of quickie shots and I'm out of here...

5 image focus stack, verbena and lantana. I like the two plants together but it was really just to see if I could get a decent focus stack with a long lens (70-300 mm). The two plants differ about 12 cm in height (4.72").


Finally... Male, Allen's hummingbird, peacefully perched.


No comments:

Post a Comment