Monday, May 6, 2013

Today's walk report: 050613

There's not much to say about today's walk. It was a typical Monday walk. Kids are back on the campus, people are irritated driving home, anxious to get there, grab a drink, turn on the TV and hit the couch. I'm basing this on observation and statistics, I'm sure you're more responsible so please, don't let it bother you. It's just-- I'm walking during "rush hour," 5-6 PM I'm hitting the only one significant intersection for homebound traffic. The South > Northbound traffic light is relatively short. The East > West street I'm on is one-way, with virtually no traffic and heads into the college campus. Despite this and the fact that it all works out about the same from this light to the next, people are absolutely crazed to make it through the intersection. The crosswalk always has at least two cars I have to walk around once the Walk sign fires up. That means extreme caution on my part. I've said for years that people drive referencing distance and not time. On the freeway it's all about being in front of the car that's in front of you even though, despite whatever degree of traffic, the difference in time is totally insignificant. It's like--a couple of sips of that beverage looming in their future. Barely the fade to black and cut to commercial. On surface streets it's even sillier because ultimately you can't make up much since the lights are timed. So, in this example, as soon as one gets across this intersection they are stopped by the next light 350m (382.7 yards) in front of them but the duration of the red light was only fifteen seconds (I BELIEVE that can go as high as 23 seconds depending on a car triggering the opposite side sensor.) Moving at a generous 8MPH it will take over twice that long for the traffic ahead to make up the 350m. So please just wait and keep your sorry ass out of my way.

Anyway... that's about all I have to say. I walked hard and fast and once again focused on the music. By the way, I think this is the only really good song Asia ever did...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment