Sunday, August 18, 2013

Today's walk report: 081813

Double header.

In the A.M., iCal tells me I get the Dodgers vs. the Phillies game at 10:30 so I hustled to do some stuff all for naught, the Dodgers' calendar was wrong, no game on local TV.  So I said wtf, it's only 94º outside, why not go for a walk?

This is how I felt right at this point, only about .5 km into the walk. It's okay, it got better even though by the end of the 2 hours excursion it was 98º and pretty darn humid.


Buckeye (Junonia coenia). Between chasing butterflies and waiting for dragonflies to land I was siding with the dragonflies.


This was a four image focus stack. Flame Skimmer (Libellula saturata).
(Anyone bumping into my stuff here--please comment to correct IDs if you believe they aren't right.)


Hide and seek.


Peek a boo!


Red eared slider turtle kicking it in the lily pads.


Family: Skimmers - Libellulidae, no ID. The Flame Skimmer above was rather aggressive about chasing this guy away and for my best photo op I had the wrong lens.


Female common bluetail damselfly (Ischnura heterosticta)


again...


and again...


Water lilies are always closed by the time I usually get to the pond, late afternoon.


It was getting really hot. I had walked over to a vending machine for a beverage and came back to this guy.


Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae) on lantana. I had both a male and a female on this lantana. The female is somewhat larger than the male, other than that I think you need to be really close to tell the difference.


 again (this might be the female)...


Same dragonfly as before almost an hour later. This one was pretty much hanging out for me.


Then there was a 2nd walk, out the door shortly after 6 P.M., a mere 87º.


A shell of his former self...


Green fruit beetles, doing what they do. My understanding is they only go for overly ripe fruit and are therefore not a agricultural threat. This is not a before and after, these are two sets of beetles.


Turkey vulture, moon.


Cloud parade.


These birds and I were all waiting for the sunset. This was about 20 minutes to go.


and finally...
(that's a lens flare off to the left, I'm still on planet earth.)


No comments:

Post a Comment