Monday, December 16, 2013

Today's walk report: 121613

Park and walk.

Another one of those days. I had a lot I wanted to get done today and I got enough of it done so I don't feel bad about what I didn't get to. However, one of the 1st things I did after coffee and some AM internet was to plant a couple of 6-packs of Primula acaulis, aka, Primrose, I had picked up from the local garden center on Saturday.  These went into a narrow strip of ground the runs from my driveway to the front door.

Shortly after I was done I learned the errors of my ways, bending over like I did. My back wasn't happy. Yesterday I had noticed there was some Flexeril in the house and even though I remember Flexeril being not very effective for me I decided to take one. By 2 PM I was sleepy... real sleepy. I haven't slept well to begin with in the last 10 months and I realized I wasn't going to do well at all this evening if I didn't lie down. I ended up listening to music for about 40 minutes and then the wireless feed to the living room stereo kicked out. I was on the couch in front of it. My guess is as soon as there was 2 minutes of silence I was out. I opened my eyes a few times but it wasn't until 3:40 that I got up, had 1/2 a cup of coffee, organized some paperwork for tomorrow, took a quick look outside to see what kind of sunset I might expect and then grabbed my camera and drove up to the college campus where I usually walk on weekends. Sunset was 4:48. I took my first picture from up on the campus cross country course at 4:40:43 PM.

There was another motivation for doing things this way and that was my checking out the campus to see if it appeared to be school's out for winter quarter. It appears so. They have some limited schedule for winter but it's not enough to bother me. I like to walk the campus but I don't like it when it's choked with students.

At this point it seemed everything was going toward the gray side and sunset wasn't going to be as nice as I expected.

Meanwhile some cattle down below heard the dinner bell ring. Yes, one of them is peeing on the way to dinner, wtf does a cow care.

I started to get at least a little walking in by doing what we always called the "switchbacks" on the cross country course. Yes, once upon a time I ran cross country in High School. It's really quite the miserable sport and running past a long line of pig pens about a mile into a race is the absolute pits. There are no more pigs on the campus. I kind of think the school would like to do away with this side of their history but for me all of this led to some fun and interesting experiences in my life. My sister and I lived on this campus for a period two summers growing up while our parents went on vacation. We "moved" cattle, fed them, I milked a cow and a goat, chopped the head off of a chicken... We got a nice feel for farm life. "Good bye, city life. Green Acres we are there!"

I went to the "upper deck" still waiting on the sunset to light up a show and noticed another photographer. As I hit the apex I could see he was waiting on the moonrise. He had a tripod, I did not but wish I did. I mean, geez, I did come by car. Yesterday I grumbled about carrying a tripod. I can't make up my mind.

Several minutes later...

and turning around you will see, the sunset was very nice indeed.

Tomorrow the moon is full. I'm thinking I might do this again but leave earlier, walk some on on the lower campus and then go get my tripod from the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment