Monday, April 7, 2014

Today's walk report: 040614, a weekend report

Another 3-day report, just because... I'm in love.

Friday, 040414...

 Gray bird grasshopper (Schistocerca nitens)
My good friend, male Anna's hummingbird.
Some variety of Penstemon.






The squawking was worse than the battle but once again I witnessed a crow and this time a Copper's hawk having at it over territory (or something). As usual the crow appeared to be the aggressor.

Salvia leucophylla.

End o' day.
Saturday, 040514...

Not a happy walk. My companion, Docken, wasn't with me for a 2nd time and I found the walk rather melancholy without her. Knowing she wouldn't be home when I got there made things that much worse. As we prepare to be together, some days we'll need to be apart and I'm not digging it.

Part of the reason for limiting walk reports is the activity going on in my own garden. I find photo ops here daily.

My front yard.

Vanessa cardui on red-stemmed dogwood.
This is what I saw not so much what the camera saw but hey... artistic license.

Red-tailed hawk watching airliner.
Echinopsis is a large genus of cacti native to South America, sometimes known as hedgehog cactus, sea-urchin cactus or Easter lily cactus.


Close up of the Easter lily cactus.


 Sunday, 040614...

Another mopey walk alone.

On my way out, just off my driveway, a pollen coated hoverfly on Coreopsis.


Carpenter bee in Palo verde tree.

Flies? I like flies! Male Anna's hummingbird.

A new patch of irises appears. No ID.

More cactus flowers, no ID.

Day 2, Easter lily cactus.

My elusive male rufous hummingbird friend says "hello."
and "hello" again from his other side.

"OUCH!" They seem to like the fuzzy stuff in the center of the barrel cactus.

Eric duck says ,"where the duck is Docken duck?"
I got several shots off one this one particular rufous hummingbird in a palo verde tree. Thing is there were about 8 of them and they were all playing 'who's king (or queen) of the tree?' This made difficult shooting all the more difficult.


Another shot, I still haven't looked carefully enough across about 100 images to find the best one.


Mourning dove watches the sunset and I slide on home to an empty house... well, OK, there are 3 cats but that ain't cutting it for missing my girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment