Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Yesterday's butterfly and today's walk report

 Yesterday's butterfly, Papilio rutulus, the western tiger swallowtail. It didn't spend much time with me and to be honest it wasn't very comfortable hanging around in the backyard at 95º. 





The walk this morning was... disquieting. The first sidewalk past my own street, there was a homeless man sleeping across most of the width of the sidewalk, his bags and his bicycle propped up around him. Witnessing another's vulnerability, their basic needs unmet while surrounded by excess, is a painful paradox. Nobody needs to be worth a billion dollars. My general mood shifted to sorrow laced with anger.

Another 200 yards in there was a news helicopter, unusually low and hovering loudly. About a quarter mile beyond that another, much louder, helicopter took it's place. I took a picture with my phone because I couldn't see any markings and thought a photo might later reveal something. I wondered if it was military.


 Nothing and the helicopter had sat in that spot for the duration of the walk. I later made the mistake of checking out the news and I found the story. I only read a headline and it was too heartbreaking to talk about but it reinforced my earlier sorrow. 

And on that happy note, here's to a better tomorrow.



1 comment:

  1. I heard a news report this morning and thought of you. When copters are hovering overhead here, they're almost always the police. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete