Sunday, August 4, 2024

Weekend walk report: Hot! Hot! Hot!

 Late afternoon on Sunday, August 4th. It is currently 104 ºF outdoors. It is also currently 91 ºF here in my office with a window A/C unit running to the left of me and a tower fan to my right.The high today was 108.7 °F. None of this is comfortable. In other words, I'm gonna try to be brief right now. 

Here are a few pictures from Saturday, August 3rd. I got out a little later than I had wanted to so the walk was somewhat abbreviated.

On my way to the garden I came close to stepping on this praying mantis. The contrast wasn't as good as you see here and I was wearing shades. I hold a certain reverence for Mantises.



A western fence lizard, Sceloporus occidentalis. The yellow debris are spent flowers from the blue palo verde trees above.


  A young male Allen's hummingbird in the territory usually occupied by male Anna's hummingbirds (search Dusty and Not Dusty in this blog).




A flame skimmer dragonfly (Libellula saturata).

At this point I decided to get moving. I could already feel the heat coming.

Two pigeons atop of the vent for a granary. Poop central. 

This is where I usually take the west side road out to that edge of the campus. It adds .84 miles to my walk. However, I looked that direction and saw that I was going to be in nothing but full sun so I continued south up the hill which didn't add much of anything but at least I trudged up the hill. 

Typical views from the top of the hill.


From there it was down the steps and back to my car.

Sunday (today), August 4th.

For some reason on Saturday afternoon I put it in my head to leave early and do a sunrise walk. One thing I didn't think about was the campus being closed to automotive entry. I had to park across the street from the school and scamper to the previously mentioned stairs and make my way above tree level. It was a tad early for this but nevertheless...




On my way back to my car I visited the garden for just a few minutes. Male Calype anna hummingbird, Not Dusty was up high in a dead California bay tree. 


That's it and I'm out of here. Lucy T. Cat is waiting for me in our much cooler room at the other end of the house.

Love comes to you and you follow
Lose one, on to the heart of the sunrise
Sharp distance
How can the wind with its arms all around me?
Lost on a wave and then after
Dream on, on to the heart of the sunrise


1 comment:

  1. I guess the mantis’s prayers were answered 😎 Lovely pics most especially the hummingbirds, dragonfly and sunrise.

    ReplyDelete