Monday, December 16, 2019

Wildflowers 2019-2020


I was asked about the status of wildflowers around the house today. Wildflowers for spring has been a project here since 2012-2013. Seed goes down in tandem with the first rain activity on the property. This year that was November 30th. That's about one month later than the past several years. I think 2016 was the nicest display out front.


And the nicest showing in the backyard was this year, 2019. But this image only represents about 120 sq. ft. The entire "field" of wildflowers took up approximately 700 sq. ft. Some of these poppies were close to 5' tall and the clarkia was often close to 4'. 


I'm not quite sure how I'm going to approach posts on this because at first I thought I'd simply edit this 1st post with additions, then I asked myself if that was a good idea and couldn't come up with an answer. It's either that or new posts titled Wildflowers 2019-2020 Part 2, 3, etc. or I don't follow through at all or hardly at all. If you have or have had a blog you know that somewhere along the line, and sometimes with frequency, ask yourself, why the !$#&* am I doing this?

On to today... seedlings.

These are curiosity #1. I don't know what they are. I suspect due to location and my not recognizing them that they are from a sack of bird food. And my best guess on the type of birdseed is milo, grain sorghum. Two shots here because some critter has been digging around and chewing on this and I want to point that out. If it/they keep at it this is probably going away. You see, there's a lot of stuff nearby. No digging allowed.



The dominant plant in the next image is Dimorphotheca sinuata. It's a type of African daisy. That's the flower that takes over the first image, with the house. There are 4 or 5 color options on that flower. There's a thing or two in there I'm not sure about but also nearby are common storksbill (Erodium cicutarium). I've wiped out 1,000s of those seedlings recently. They took over the front and side yards last year. It's the plant that looks a little like a parsley leaf. It's also allegedly edible. Also, if you look left side, center, the little almost heart-shaped leaves. That's common mallow (Malva neglecta, I think). It too is edible. I hula-hoed a few 100 of those out of existence today. Maybe I should map out the entire yard in macro photos so I can find all the problem children.

(If you don't know or aren't thinking about it, this is a good time to click to enlarge images)



Here's the common mallow showing both the heart-shaped first leaves and a mature leaf. It's a modest ah-ha moment for some people. This is a focus stack of two images by the way and I wasn't planing that when I took them, so if it looks a little funky--that's why.


There's some major inventory on these guys. Another mystery.


This is an easy one. This is Arroyo Lupine (Lupinus succulentus). Arroyo Lupine is showing up all over too.


More Dimorphotheca sinuata coming in with perhaps some very young Dimorphotheca sinuata.


California poppy (Eschscholzia californica) acting as a  perennial. They've been sitting around rather dwarf-like since spring.


That's it. That's all the pictures I took and when I took them, moments before I started this post, I didn't know I was going to do this. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like it's off to a good start. Intruders are always to be expected.

    ReplyDelete