Saturday, December 1, 2018

Today's walk report: 120118

It's freakin' December... Time flies,

and so do birds.


On the last couple of walk reports, or the last one anyway, I've mentioned naming hummingbirds once I've gotten to know them. Docken and I had names for a couple of hummingbirds here at home too. Last week I came up with names for both the male Allen's and the male Anna's hummingbirds we've been enjoying lately. I didn't get the names in the last report because I had to look something up. I did that today. I didn't know what the current western cultural generation was called. I, for example, am of the Baby Boomer Generation. That means the youngest I could be is 54. We'll leave it at that. The current generation began in 2013 and will end in 2025. This new generation is called, Gen Alpha.

This male Allen's hummingbird (Selasphorus sasin) has been named Rusty Gen Alpha since he is the latest generation of male Allen hummingbirds in his particular territory I've called Rusty or a variation thereof.

If this picture looks familiar that's because this is one of Rusty Gen Alpha's common places to perch and I've taken several similar images.


The male Anna's hummingbird (Calypte anna) hangs out right next door to RGA in this garden. Typically they are separated, at the least by about 18 yards (16.5 meters). I've only seen them contest each others territory once. I have no idea why I decided to name him Brad but that's his name now. Brad gave us both a lot of camera clicks today and while the lighting wasn't always the best it was really a ton of fun taking pictures of Brad today.











Now, if that seems like a lot of photos of Brad, get this, I took 424 images of this bird today!

Finally, while waiting for Rusty G. Alpha to show up for another photo op (he didn't), I snapped this grevillea because I thought it looked very December festive.


1 comment:

  1. Brad seems to quite a ham. Rusty might have just gone to get an agent...

    ReplyDelete