Sunday, April 28, 2013

Today's walk report: 042813

Whatever kind of turnout they had for the "Farm Walk" it was all clear by the time I hit that side of the campus. Thank you.


I see a lot of lizards. For the most part I believe they are all one form or another of fence lizard. I mislabeled my JPEG here and I think this is probably a female northwestern fence lizard (Sceloporus occidentalis.) If anybody ever wants to call me on any of my IDs for anything you're more than welcome.


Some species of Nymphalidae on silver sage, there's only about 6,000 of them so... Actually I think I have tried to ID this butterfly before but I'm too tired to go back and look. Besides the fact that nobody cares and only about 10 people even look at this blog at this point.
Update: This is a Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui).


Carpenter bees (the genus Xylocopa in the subfamily Xylocopinae). Sometimes when they fly past quickly and are out in my peripheral view I think it was a hummingbird.


Bumblebee. Any member of the bee genus Bombus, in the family Apidae. There are over 250 known species. I haven't been happy with any of perhaps a few 100 bumblebee shots so far this year.

 
Young Allen's hummingbird. I had a few Anna's hummingbirds literally 15" from my face today, just hovering, I think mocking me beause I had the wrong lens for a photo op.


No comments:

Post a Comment