Sunday, June 30, 2024

Today's walk report: Mental Medication

Mental medication
Music's conversation...

A sort of theme there for this weekend. No news, no hints of news, just music, conversation and one other thing... Baseball! And I need to speed though this post because the Dodgers v Giants is on in 20 minutes!

Pictures from today's walk.

Docken called in when I was taking my first pictures once again. Such good timing. Thank you, Docky. On June 1st I took some wide shots of these Oenothera lindheimeri plants and I was kinda bummed that I didn't have my close-up lens in tow. Well, today I did.



Walking across the thick woody mulch I pulled this. This is probably a Washingtonia filifera, the desert fan palm, or California palm. These palms have never prolifically self-seeded and propagated here like they have in the past, gonna say, 12-15 years. I grew up here, I never saw these popping up everywhere. Right now, I could probably dig up dozens of seedlings in my backyard alone. And I will have to do so come fall when I cut stuff back. Dreadful tree. Rats love them. I blame climate change and a local move toward weather which is more tropical. I plan to do a post about how severe this is in the near future. Or not.

Common sunflowers.




California poppy. This is how they grow here at home in the off-season. Small flowers will show up at odd times.


Monarch butterfly on narrow-leaf milkweed.

Are the apples coming closer to being edible. We shall see, I swiped one. Many are dropping on the ground.

Coreopsis.


Bauhinia × blakeana. Spot the ant? Second shot.



Canna lily.


Limonium perezii. Note the spider web activity.


I moved out of the southwestern horticulture portion of the campus and headed toward the botanical garden and beyond to get a walk in.

Various palo verde trees (Parkinsonia florida) along the way.



 Shoot! I was going to sign up for this. I totally spaced.

Tipuana tipu, or, Tipu tree. This is inside of an enclosed area or I would've attempted close-ups of the flowers. It's a huge canopy, especially relative to the height of the tree.



Dietes grandiflora.


Myrtus communis.


 
The ancient car worshipers were out in force. That term applies (generally) to both the cars and the worshipers. The first car is a 2005 Ford GT. I suspect the roadster is a replica.


Do you think this guy ever gets pulled over, for... oh, I don't know.


Lastly, heading back to my car, which is also relatively old as am I, this picture is for Trey. Sorry, no berries right now. Lantana camara.

Late for the ballgame. Thanks for stopping by. 







1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, my old nemesis , lantana! Thanks for sharing so much beauty so faithfully ! —anonymous Trey

    ReplyDelete