Saturday, June 1, 2024

Today's walk report: Alternate Diversion

 Last week I told myself if the campus is crowded next week go to the "alternate" garden, which was dedicated as the Braille Trail way back in the 70's and has been mostly neglected ever since. Well, the campus was crowded and I was also unsure of how far I wanted to walk, so Braille Trail it was. 

Here are some pictures from today's diversion...

Oenothera lindheimeri, commonly known as Lindheimer's beeblossom, white gaura, pink gaura, Lindheimer's clockweed, and Indian feather, is a species of Oenothera. 


Mourning dove... wait... don't go yet!


Passiflora, known also as the passion flowers or passion vines. From the time I was a kid I always thought they looked like some sort of alien spacecraft.


Pelargonium peltatum. The insect is a cricket, this is a nymph. Crickets are generally nocturnal.


 Verbena, it's being trained to grow tall. I've never seen it like this before.



I think this is Salvia 'Balsalmisp' Mystic Spires but it could be anyone of a number of Salvias.


I believe this is Alluaudia procera, AKA, Madagascar ocotillo.


Calandrinia spectabilis, or rock purslane.


Arctotis 'Pink Sugar'.

Calylophus serrulatus, 'Superlophus Yellow'.


Onto the edibles. My experience here is that most of this fruit goes to critters and the rest goes to rot so I might make an effort in the near future (30 days, give or take) to come back a sample a couple of these.

Anna Apple. Anna was bred by Abba Stein at the Ein Shemer kibbutz in Israel, in order to achieve a Golden Delicious-like apple, that can be cultivated in nearly tropical areas.



This is labeled as a Citation hybrid rootstock. My first impression was apricot. It appears it might be a dwarf apricot.


This is also a Citation hybrid rootstock, I'm assuming a dwarf Peach.


Finally on my way to create some semblance of a walk, these pomegranate trees line the eastern perimeter of the campus weather station. They've been there for as long as I can remember, which is a very long time.





2 comments:

  1. First , I miss Dusty . Beautiful pics. Why do they call it the Braille Trail ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great walk! I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete