Monday, January 16, 2023

Today's walk report: 011623

 I told myself shortly after the new year rolled in that I need to get out and walk with greater frequency once again. It wasn't a resolution. I just started thinking of one occasion when Docken and I were out walking and a guy jogged by saying something complementary about us getting out and walking and then he added, a little ahead of us, "staving off death." 

“Staving off death is a thing that you have to work at. Left to itself – and that is what it is when it dies – the body tends to revert to a state of equilibrium with its environment... When we die the work stops, the temperature differential starts to disappear, and we end up the same temperature as our surroundings.”

~Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design~

It wasn't a long walk. It's the walk Docken and I generally referred to as, one up one down. It's a little over 2 miles. Docken came along on the phone. Thank you Docken.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket a few times along the way. I can't help it. Here are some pictures.

Whatever the reason, this is referencing Route 66. For another few months and a couple of days this has some significance to me.


This is one of a couple of houses where there seemed to be a sort of mash-up of holiday decorating.


Again with the mushrooms. Believe it or not, these are the same variety as I posted yesterday. Again, I believe they are Tubaria furfuracea, commonly known as the scurfy twiglet or perhaps Tubaria hiemalis (Winter Twiglet). This is the aging process taking hold.


You may ask, where do all of these mushrooms come from? Why, the mushroom pooping giant spider, of course!




1 comment:

  1. I am very much into staving off death 😎 Enjoyed this rather whimsical walk report !

    ReplyDelete