Saturday, March 12, 2022

Bowie's back!

 No, not that guy.

This would be Bowie the very special female California scrub jay (Aphelocoma californica) I became very well acquainted with from mid-September, 2021 until the first week of February, 2022. I saw her on occasion for close to a year before that but... well, that story is here. From February 8th up until  February 15th I had not seen beak nor tail of dear Bowie. On the 15th I only happened to catch her in the front yard relocating an acorn she had stashed on the roof above my garage (I wish she'd stick with other places). I only had a moment to say hello. Then yesterday... It was a little after 10:00 in the morning and I was working on yesterday's blog entry when I heard a bunch of squawking in the backyard, just outside my office windows. I immediately dashed out. I needed to be certain it was her and wanted to make an observation as expeditiously as possible. I wanted to see her. I wanted to see that she was okay. I missed her. Once I saw it was indeed Bowie I stepped back inside and grabbed my camera.




What was she squawking at you might ask? Well, it was this pair of mockingbirds. I'm also very familiar with these two and much like scrub jays (with the exception of the very unique Bowie), male and female northern mockingbirds (Mimus polyglottos) are difficult to tell apart, unless you see them together. Males, in both cases, are larger. I believe this is the first time I have seen the mockingbirds together. I'm pretty certain the one on the left is the male. I'm also pretty sure he's the one I've seen and spoken to most frequently. Males have a wider range of vocalization and sing more frequently than females.

Bowie took off, at least I lost track of Bowie while the mockingbirds remained. Egg laying for both of these birds species can begin in March. For the mockingbirds my understanding is it depends on warmer than average temperatures. So far, for March, that's a toss-up. Today's temp went from 41ºf to 81ºf. I think we’re headed into generally warmer climes. The situation could be similar for the scrub jays. The best information I can get on them is they might start early March but nesting averages from late March to mid-June. To start, it takes about 10 days to build the nest, so that's possibly happening now... plus... moments ago, Bowie was back again and this time she hung out with me on the patio and got some peanuts. We probably spent close to 20 minutes together so I doubt she's dealing with a baby bird yet. Also, I haven't seen Mr. B since February 25th and they're supposed to do this stuff together. Yes, I will let you know if I see Mr. B.

Again on the utility pole this afternoon. However, when she heard me tambourine peanuts on a paper plate she came right down to the ficus trees off the patio.





 
Look at me, I'm a BIG girl!


That's your Bowie update for now. I think it would be great if I could spot a nest and follow that development. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.



2 comments:

  1. I love Bowie. Everything about her is adorably special. Her big beautiful eyes are so incredibly expressive. It's as if she's a lovely little animation come to life. Your images are heartwarming, too. Looks like she's posing for peanuts. And I know that you tend to disagree, but I kinda/sorta think Bowie is already, "with egg". Albeit teeny-tiny ones, but huevos nonetheless. Huge smile because your bird is back. She's such a good girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pics of Bowie! I'm speculating she went on a weeklong pre-nesting holiday. Everyone needs a break sometime !

    ReplyDelete