Sunday, May 15, 2022

Today's walk report: 051522

 In an effort to avoid total redundancy, this post will diverge from a repetitive path after the first seven images. That's right, you read right, the secret word for today is patience. Here's the deal, I've been struggling a bit trying to find new material along the familiar route during the past few walks reported here. I think it's the weather. You know, if you can't find something else to use as blame for just about anything, you can always blame the weather. 

Besides, I kind of like the evolution of the deciduous process of flowers shedding from the two palo verde trees at the entrance to the local botanical garden. So, here they are again...



When I relocated to my current location in the summer of 2011 I thought, I'd really like to have a couple of palo verde trees in front of the house. Maybe I still would but if anything might dissuade one from doing so it could be this...


Here's another redundant subject but hey! He's a good friend and I enjoy seeing he's still around. The infamous male Calypte anna hummingbird known as Dusty.


Sometimes he just sits.

This western fence lizard was just sitting too, until I decided to take one more step. Always take the first picture you can before moving in, always... always... always.

Finally, something new! I believe this is Banksia ashbyi. It's a recent addition to the garden. Definitely a bee magnet.


To make up for the lack of photos out on today's walk, here are a few recent shots from the homestead.

California poppies are almost all gone. These few were on a very narrow strip of ground along the front walkway. So they wouldn't get trampled by the mailman or other delivery services I decided to take a some inside.


 One of just a few Papaver rhoeas, aka, Shirley poppies which were mostly white. The poppy show in the backyard left a little to be desired compared to previous years.


and about a foot to the left...


This male monarch butterfly was a frequent visitor for a few days. I believe the butterfly bush is a dwarf Buddleja davidii.



Another Papaver rhoeas.


The monarch was back the following day and one of my regulars, a female Allen's hummingbird was also fluttering about.



A couple more Papaver rhoeas from today. Unfortunately there are very few yet to open and I expect my poppy population to be close to nil if not completely exhausted by the end of the week.




Even though the poppies would only last a day inside I tried to put some vases together. The smaller flowers are Elegant Clarkia, they were also a disappointing show this year.


And now for something completely different. You know how I've mentioned feral cat Stan and my little feline girl Lucy seem to have an attraction from afar? It's in this blog somewhere, I swear. Anyway if you don't know who Stan and Lucy are you can check this post. It appears Stan has another girlfriend, one outside. She's a tabby I've named Cam. Cam is short for Camouflage because she blends in so well around here. Stan seems to look for Cam with some frequency. I'm not 100% on Cam being female yet but she appears and acts female and there hasn't been any fighting. Cam is very timid and this is the best I've been able to do on the picture front so far. These were taken from inside the house two days ago. Cam was hunting a very large grasshopper.




Cam may have a home. So far, at least as best I can tell, she hasn't come onto the patio to eat any of Stan's food.

That's all! Thanks for stopping by. A special thanks to all of the "mystery people" who stop by to visit. Goodbye, stranger, it's been nice. Hope you find your paradise!


1 comment:

  1. Answer: All of these make your paradise go 'round. Question: What are birds, bees, butterflies, flowers, trees... and kitties? Bingo! The falling petals of the palo verde trees, to me, are kinda magical. Corny, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Hey, to Dusty. Always happy to see him. And, Cam, she's a stunning kitty. My feeling is that she has a home. Fingers crossed. Your poppies are really pretty, too; especially the peachy one. No, wait... especially the beautifully arranged Shirley poppies in a vase! Absolutely charming. Thank you, again, for taking the time to share. Cherish every moment.

    ReplyDelete