Sunday, May 8, 2022

Today's walk report: 050822

Mother's day. Whether you wanted to be one or not. With all the stories I've ever read about a dystopian future, I, quite honestly, never thought I would be part of that future.

I've nowhere, nowhere to hide
I'd give you all of my dreams
If you'd help me
Find a door
That doesn't lead me back again
Take me away*

My diversion for today, here are the pictures...

On my way to the local botanical garden, there was a small murder of crows engaged in chasing a squirrel away and they also appeared to be gathering for nest building. I captured none of that but here are a couple of the crows, just hanging, watching, very aware of the human below.




Into the garden... what is becoming an obligatory shot of the first two palo verde tress.

Seemingly there are now more flowers dispersed below than on the trees above.

Another now familiar shot of the slowly flowering Agave americana. Can ya see the little birdie?


I walked right up to this very young desert cottontail (Sylvilagus audubonii). It didn't seem at all concerned about my proximity.


Last week I had prepared these images of Caesalpinia gilliesii flowers but forgot to include them in my post and while I took some more pictures today, I opted to include last Sunday's images here. It appears to me they have expanded their territory via some controlled reseeding. These particular plants are in the "Australian Native" section of the garden. Caesalpinia gilliesii are native to Argentina and Uruguay.



I plopped myself down on a bench and stared at this grevillea shrub willing a hummingbird to show, and one did. A female Calypte anna.




She took a short break and I moved on.

This western fence lizard seemed to be very curious about me.


Another baby on my way out of the garden, a California ground squirrel (Otospermophilus beecheyi).


*Genesis - The Chamber of 32 Doors



1 comment:

  1. Sweet photos of the cottontail. My garden is now rife with bunnies.

    ReplyDelete