Sunday, April 3, 2022

Today's walk report: 040322

 Walkin' and talkin' with Docken.

Let's put it this way... it was good to get out even though I mostly wandered rather aimlessly. Here are a few pictures from what ended up being a short excursion.

Echinopsis candicans

 

For the most part this female Calypte anna hummingbird was obscured behind this Old Man Cactus (Cephalocereus senilis) and it wasn't until I got home that I realized what she was doing, darting in and out behind it. Why of course, she was collecting some fuzzy for her nest.


There's always a mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos). I noticed a few days ago, on one of my early morning weekday walks, that I could pick out a mockingbird singing at almost every point throughout the 2 and 1/2 mile journey. As one faded out another faded in.


American crows (Corvus brachyrhynchos), this was clearly a mating ritual. I didn't get many shots off but noticed that the pair was frequently in sync. The vocalizations were unique to me, courtship calls. My appreciation for crows has grown immensely over the past few years, walks made it happen.



For much of the walk I was gazing into palo verde trees. Stunningly beautiful and teeming with bees.




Peace - An End



1 comment:

  1. The birds and the bees in the beautiful trees, the cactus, its bright blossom, too, are all lovely to look at it's totally true. Yet of all your pretty photo-finds my favorite has to be, the little tiny hummingbird its beak all filled with fuzzy. I've no idea about you, but for me a first this has to be. Somebody stop me. Great shot, by the way. Thanks a bunch, Eric, for sharing wonderfully fun-to-look-at images accompanied by beautiful musical poetry. Cherish every moment.

    ReplyDelete