Sure enough, this morning, the car battery was thoroughly depleted, I chose not to mess with the NOCO and decided to hoof it from home instead. The revised game plan was to walk to at least the nearby arboretum, see how much territory I cared to cover, and then call Triple A, battery service, once I got home. It was about 73º to 80º with a relative humidity of 55% to 45% from start to finish. The Canadian Humidex calculator called it “little or no discomfort.” Well, yeah, maybe if you're sitting still. I called it, not awful. The walk was a little longer than yesterday's walk and measured out at 2.61 miles.
I didn't take many pictures.
First stop, heading for the arboretum. This is my weather report shot.
From there I skipped any formalities in the arboretum and headed for the botanical garden. Photo to photo, for the loop I took, that's 0.44 miles apart.
I was sitting on a bench there, chatting with the junior garden/arboretum curator. I ended up bringing up the cycad trunk mentioned in yesterday's walk report. He said they think that's the work of rats. If they ate it... They're dead. A possible alternative answer is they aren't eating, they're only shredding and then using the fiber for nesting material.
After the rest on the bench and the chat I headed back home. This spot is about 300 yards from where I usually park my car. I was shooting above houses here.
This kitty was approximately 320 yards from me stepping back inside my house. I measure walks on Google Earth with the ruler tool. It calculates the ground distance using geodesic measurement on the WGS 84 ellipsoid model—accounting for the earth’s curvature to give precise, down-to-the-foot mileage (or kilometers, meters, yards, feet, inches, nautical miles and smoots) for every detour.
An Auto Club (contracted) battery service dude was at my house 10 minutes after I placed the call and within another 20 minutes I had a new battery plus he made sure my tires were properly inflated (they weren't beforehand).
Once again, helping me with this report was the lovely Junimoon.
My car is actually silver. Man in a Silver Car.





I would think the rats would get sick at the very least, just chewing through the cycad leaves? I'm sure the curator knows best. The cat alarm clock always seems to go off just when you go in for some deep restful sleep. Good thing she's cute.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think so too, Tracy. Bottom line, I don’t think the dude knows. I think it’s an evil scientist collecting neurotoxins. I mean, how can a rat chew through that much infrastructure without taking in toxins? Also, it’s just that one plant. I need to go back and check but it seems to me there are several in the arboretum.
DeleteSorry I've been absent. My Blogger blogroll hasn't updated your posts for 3 weeks and I failed to do a manual check on your activity.
ReplyDeleteThe evening sunsets have been pretty here of late but the heat and humidity haven't been great, although it's just in the mid-80s so far today.