Sunday, September 6, 2026

Weekend walk report: Ripples never come back

 Walks taken on Saturday, September 5th and Sunday, September 6th. 

I'm not gonna lie, Saturday's walk was a bitch and I didn't walk very far (total walk was only 1.63 miles). The walk started out really well, out of the car and the first 1/4, mile I was feeling much better than I usually do at the start of a walk. One mistake, the assistant curator for the campus arboretum and botanical garden was working in the arboretum. I stopped to chat. Stopping, standing in place— that’s not something I’m good for these days. First the left side QL started screaming at me. QL--quadratus lumborum, a deep lower back muscle connecting the pelvis, spine, and ribs.Shortly afterwards, it was both shoulders. The main tendons are chronically irritated, and the bone ceiling above them sits a bit too low, creating a tight bottleneck. Nevertheless, I seem to insist on sleeping on my sides. 

Anyway, standing in one spot is notoriously brutal on my lower back and hips compared to staying in motion. Once I stop moving, my QL (both sides) has to work overtime as a static stabilizer to hold my torso upright—and when it's already exhausted or tight, it goes into full spasm mode very quickly. The night before I needed to rearrange 118 lbs of kitty litter in my garage (among other nonsense). Coupled with chronic tendinitis flared up from sleeping on my sides, standing still to chat was a recipe for intense pain.

Here are some pictures from Saturday...

Once again, starting into the local campus arboretum, there was one Cereus peruvianus cactus flower still open from the evening. It was just about 9:00 a.m. when I took this picture. 


 Friday night into Saturday morning I also apparently put a bunch of body weight on my right hand/wrist which is still healing from my being tripped up by a pine cone back on April 26th. Not only did I wake up with pain, I also had a dream about the incident. Further down the path I was taunted once again.


 ×Chitalpa.


 Some same old subjects, different days. Amaryllis belladonna.


 It has been cooler this past week. In fact, I walked every day this week except for Monday. Monday was reserved for dealing with a rather massive amount of ficus debris with a blower and vacuum/mulcher. I only need to work that about another dozen times, and maybe it'll be cleaned up. With the cooler temps, it seems some plants are recovering from the recent heatwave. Unfortunately, it appears we're going back into triple digits this week. Here, this Alstroemeria, Peruvian lily, has been pushing out fresh flowers again.


  Bouteloua hirsuta, AKA, hairy grama or eyelash grass.


Cuphea hyssopifolia.
 

 Salvia farinacea and a bee.
 



 A female monarch playing hard to get.
 

 Once again, my main goal was to spend quality time with at least a couple of hummingbirds. This female Allen's hummingbird (Selasphorus sasin) was the only one I saw and she wasn't very cooperative. I have found that, unlike Anna's hummingbirds (Calypte anna), Allen's hummingbirds need some time to get acquainted with me. That generally means multiple visits. 
 

 That was it for Saturday. The discomfort in both shoulders was brutal and I headed back to my car parked 0.65 miles from that little hummingbird. It was a long 0.65 miles. No more talking when I'm out walking. 
 
Sunday, September 6th (that's today, if I get this finished).
 
Currently, it's about 5:30 p.m. and today we got 1.15" of rain (so far). Growing up in the San Fernando Valley, a weather event like this in late summer was essentially unheard of. Historically, the Valley in early September was defined by relentless Santa Ana winds, bone-dry brush, zero humidity, and triple-digit heat. Getting a quarter-inch of rain was a rarity, but pushing past an inch from a tropical plume is an absolute anomaly. This is due to Hurricane Marie, as I type, categorized as a Category 1 hurricane, that is weakening into a tropical storm. 
 
Here's a screenshot from this morning.
 

 And here's a screenshot of incoming precipitation into SoCal this morning. 
 

 I was watching out the windows and watching the radar all morning for an opportunity to go for a walk and take pictures. It was mostly the window watching that got me out the door. I was on foot just minutes before 1:00. It was 69ºF and the relative humidity was 87%. I didn't find that particularly comfortable, but a lot of people would. I was also moving pretty fast. Contrary to yesterday, for the most part, I felt wonderful. 

Here are some pictures from today (yes, some same stuff, but it's different 'cause it's wet!).

This myrtle tree had the first dripping wet flowers I saw. So, I took pictures.



 There's a massive few crops of narrowleaf milkweed (Asclepias fascicularis) and a lot of it had been pummeled by the rain. This was hanging down a couple feet over the sidewalk I was on.


 This Coreopsis verticillata plant just amazes me. It seems to always be loaded with flowers. I am going to swipe some seeds from here.


Puddle pictures. These are depicted as I saw them. I like turning obstacles into photo ops.




The Amaryllis belladonna once again, but it's wet. Can you see that? It's wet. With rain! In September!


The agapanthus is not blooming.


I discovered that I could not get a picture of a reflection and ripples both in focus. So, where is the reflection?


 Moving from the arboretum to the botanical garden, 

Rose hips.
 

 Fresh new growth on the wild rose bushes.I'm pretty sure this wasn't there yesterday. 
 

 13 new barrel cactus recently went in, right off the path. Don't ever back into one of these when you're out mowing your yard and you're trying to avoid kicking up dirt onto the neighbor's parked car, so you're not paying attention to where your big feet are. It was also the neighbor's barrel cactus by the way. Close up...
 

 And the granddaddy of the golden barrel cactus (Kroenleinia grusonii).
 
 
 California buckwheat.



 Another puddle, another ripple. No plant IDs inside the puddles.
 

Crimson bottlebrush (Callistemon citrinus).
 

A fresh leucadendron sprig. 
 

 Puddles heading baack to my car. It wasn't a very long walk, 1.42 miles but my clothes were sticking to me from the warm humidity. It's still raining by the way.
 


Sail away, away
Ripples never come back
They've gone to the other side
Look into the pool
Ripples never come back
 

6 comments:

  1. Amazing images as always. I was captivated by the puddle pics. Very nicely done. Beware of taunting pine cones—they’re up to no good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trey. I’m not too sure what I did in my sleep to aggravate my right hand but I did a good job. I’m assuming the pain encouraged the dream.

      Delete
  2. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear you were in that much pain. The rain must have been wonderful to see! I was lamenting the fresh growth on plants, just before the heat strikes. I hate to see the new growth fry. You got some great photos, even tho it seems like everything was hurting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just needed to complain, it’s cathartic. The thing is, I know not to stop and stand in place and I actually did it twice. I was much better on Sunday. Recovery is reasonably quick.

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised you still have some Amaryllis belladonna as mine were incinerated weeks ago. Great shots during the downpour on Sunday. We got just 0.56/inch in total and I got somewhat soaked trying to collect some of that in plastic trugs - I haven't checked how much my rain barrels captured yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appeared I was right inside the chute. Got another 0.02” this morning to end up with 1.29” for the duration. .

      Delete