Thursday, September 3, 2026

Today's butterfly (and Tuesday's too!)

 With recent cooler temperatures comes more time in my office (on Wednesday, 08/26, it hit 98º in here, 110º outside). More time in my office means more time gazing out the windows into the backyard. Most of my backyard sightings of butterflies take place while sitting at my desk. Currently, it's about 82ºF outside and 85º at my desk. Unfortunately, the office fan is out in the hallway, pointing into Junimoon's room, and I'm not inclined to move it because Juni is asleep in my lap (yes, my lap is quite warm). 

These images were taken at 12:49-12:50 this afternoon. The bougainvillea were in full sun. The last image is a different western giant swallowtail and was taken on September 1st at 4:29 p.m. The plumbago was in the shade this afternoon too, but the butterfly wasn't interested. Western giant swallowtail (Papilio rumiko) are extremely hyper, which makes them difficult (!) to photograph. 



 

Okay, Juni loves the warmth in here and in my lap, but me... not so much. Plus, it's way past time to eat something. I had a Boost nutritional drink before my morning walk, and that's not cutting it. Oh, good. She just hopped down. It's always best when it's the cat's idea. 

This song during today's walk... I was just trying to go the distance, but instead, I accidentally underwent a profound spiritual awakening near a trash can.


 

7 comments:

  1. The butterfly pics are fantastic ! ‘ No narcotic in my brain can make this go away ‘. That resonates with me .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trey. I need more butterflies to show up since they’re a great subject to test my camera/lens woes.

      Delete
  2. Hello Google… I’m watching you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I hope the change resolves the issue - and that Lucy is better this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google has apparently known about this issue for some time. The short of it is… Until Google rewrites the underlying code for Blogger comments, any browser enforcing modern privacy rules will freeze on the reCAPTCHA box when Moderation is turned on. Leaving Moderation OFF remains the only reliable way to keep the comment box working for outside visitors without forcing them to manually lower their browser's privacy shields.

      Delete
  4. I couldn't comment on anyone's blog Friday, I believe. It seems like it's fixed now. I'm so glad the cat was able to stay until she saw fit to get up ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it’s kinda still broken. Google has known about this structural mismatch for years, but because Blogger runs on legacy architecture, they haven't rebuilt the commenting system to bypass third-party cookie restrictions natively.. Meanwhile, Junimoon says thanks for the support.

      Delete