Sunday, March 10, 2024

Today's walk report: where's the fire?

 Today was mostly about the walk. I managed to take some pictures but the physical side took precedence, plus the weather was mostly kinda gloomy. Also, there was a lot of sameness from yesterday. Anyway here goes...

Thanks again to Docken for coming along on the phone and putting up with a hodge-podge of crap I experienced along the way.

Entering the path into the garden. Art or not art? Well, I hate to tell you but at this school, in its art department, this would unfortunately be considered art.


This desert cottontail started to run away as I approached but as soon as I began telling it what a pretty little bunny it was it stopped and starting closing its eyes. Docken said it was probably expecting food. I think it was my Doctor Dolittle-like magnetism. 

 Male hummingbird Dusty was hanging out in his usual territory. I visited briefly but again weather and the related lighting wasn't very conducive to good photography, especially with him staying high up in the Caesalpinia cacalaco tree.

Not Dusty was in his regular spot too on a Caesalpinia gilliesii shrub.

 

Eucalyptus 'Moon Lagoon' is in bloom.


Yet another male Calypte anna hummingbird over in the Australian natives section of the garden.

Onto the walk.

I believe I have posted in the past about this campus frequently being used for training purposes by the Los Angeles Fire Department. They were at it again today.


This might be the male common raven I posted yesterday. This tree is only 50 yards away from where I photographed that raven and ravens are very territorial, especially during breeding and from my understanding that generally takes place from mid-February until late May.


When I saw these birds off circling a pasture in the distance I thought these were all turkey vultures. I changed my mind after studying the image a little. I believe the three birds to the left side of the image are turkey vultures and the three toward the right side are ravens or crows.

I ended my lower campus walk after visiting a few of the horses. This road extends for about another 1/4 mile beyond the horses, I should've kept going but c'est la vie. 

I wanted to go inside and brush this horse. He looked like he could've used some TLC.


 I think this horse was communicating with a beetle.

Up to the hill for part two of my walk.

Lots of  Brewer's Blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus) hanging out.

 


And the worries of the day lie downUnder cover of the fading cloudsThe secrets of the nightCome alive in your eyesYou don't have to hurryYou don't have to tryYou don't have a careYou're walking on air
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment