Saturday, March 16, 2024

Today's walk report: It's always something.

 What a beautiful day and it's still happening! So I'm gonna try to not write much and get on with it.

Thanks to Docken for joining me on the phone. Here are some pictures taken along the way...

Male Calypte anna hummingbird, Dusty. Good ol' Dusty.


 Good ol' male Calypte anna hummingbird, not Dusty. Yes, his name is officially, "not Dusty."


Last week I mentioned that breeding for common ravens generally takes place from mid-February until late May. I'm pretty sure the large twig in this bird's beak indicates nest building. Males will bring sticks to the nest but females take over the building process from there. 

This time I continued past the horses until the end of the road. I slowed down briefly to say hello to a couple of horses.

I detoured back into the garden on the trek back to my car before driving to the top of the hill, pausing to photograph a couple of yellow-rumped warblers.



I continued the walk up on the hill. Did I mention it's a gorgeous day? By the way, these two panoramas are formatted in a 2.72:1 aspect ratio which is Cinerama. Cinerama was a film format first introduced in 1952 (WAY before my time) and abandoned in 1972. It is my understanding that there is only one theater left in the United States which presently screens real Cinerama, New Neon Movies in Dayton, Ohio. I thought you should know that. The thing is, I always try to format panoramas in some real film aspect ratio. Geeky, no?


A southwestern fence lizard. I've been kind of amazed for some weeks now by how early I've been seeing lizards show up before spring officially arrives.

Mourning dove.

On the way home I spotted this two color crape myrtle tree. I looked pretty carefully, it doesn't appear to be two trees (shrubs) planted together. I've read that crape myrtles are generally propagated in nurseries by cuttings so I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to graft stems together. Here's a National Geographic video of a tree which grows 40 different kinds of fruit. Whatever the deal here, I drove 1/2 a block after passing it and turned around to take this picture.





1 comment:

  1. While I am very fond of Dusty, I’m also becoming a fan of the very photogenic not Dusty. Love the cloud pics. Very cool. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete