Sunday, March 26, 2023

Today's walk report: Spirit in the Sky

 Does anyone remember Norman Greenbaum? Well, I kinda wish I didn't. Especially right now in consideration of the ear worm I'm suffering. I'll tell you what... I certainly look at that spirit in a much different light than old Norman did. Apparently, Mr. Greenbaum is still alive so I'll leave further speculation alone.

On a tongue in cheek approach, there was this today...


Hark back to that mellow yellow vibe too.

But my spirit in the sky was more about the birds today. After yesterday's post and some reminiscing last night on the crows I watched in flight, purely appearing to me to be having fun as anthropomorphic as that might sound, I couldn't see any other way to look at it. I thought how liberating it would feel to be a bird even if just for a few moments. I would choose to be a raven. I have recent newfound understanding for stories of ravens as apparitions for people we've lost in our lives.

More pictures from today.

World famous male Calypte anna hummingbird, "Dusty," once again did not want to hang out much for pictures. There's a lot more competition for territory in "his" garden now that spring as arrived. I tried to work my way around to the other side for better light but he took off.


 One of a pair. I still think this is the female. She was cooing and when I made my feeble attempt to coo back she and her mate took off. I didn't notice the other bird until they were in flight.




I'm pretty sure this too is the same mockingbird I took pictures of on Saturday. This spot is only about 25 yards away from her perch yesterday.




The copper tone of these mushrooms was not done good service by my photos. They had a glow to them. I believe these might be Chroogomphus ochraceus.


The Grevillea laevis shrub looked beautiful in the spotted sunlight.


On my way out of the garden, onward to my lower campus loop, I saw this female Allen's hummingbird (Selasphorus sasin) being pursued by two males inside this young eucalyptus tree.


Yesterday's Disaster Preparedness Day crew appears to have taken off with a lot of cleanup left undone.


Meanwhile this pair of Canada geese walked along side me for about 60 yards. The male was always heads up and on guard for his mate while she seemed to be pecking at small bugs.




I was expecting a package delivery today and that had me rushing a bit. I made haste so I could drive up the hill and look for birds of prey. Docken was on the phone with me once again and I probably asked her for the time on more than a few occasions. Thank you Dockie.

Up top...

I'm assuming this is my regular pair of red-tailed hawks but I never got a good look at the other hawk's left wing to be sure (she's missing a feather or two).






"X" marks the spirit in the sky. This was the only raven I saw today. Hmm, I wonder if it's anyone I know.


No, I'm not going there. Instead...



1 comment:

  1. Interesting report. I really thought the hawk pics were majestic.

    ReplyDelete