Saturday, March 25, 2023

Today's walk report: Disaster Preparedness Day

 Yep. it's Disaster Preparedness Day in the West Valley. I thought it was more like, bummer, too many people cramping my style day but whatever. I walked around things and tried to make the best of it. Here are some pictures taken along the way. Thanks again to Docken for joining me via mobile communications. I enjoyed her company.

Male Calypte anna hummingbirds were elusive today so I'm not quite sure if I saw our friend Dusty or not. This female Calypte anna was a little more obliging. 



Right above her was this Northern mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos). Both birds appeared to be carrying an egg or two.


Heading into my typical 1/2 mile lower campus loop I could quickly hear I was nearing the Disaster Preparedness Day event. I didn't actually know that was what all the hoopla was until I got home and looked it up. 

The LAFD can park in the Fire Lane if they want to.

I got so close to the Blood Drive I was just inches away from swiping a donut.

I'm not quite sure what these guys were communicating but that truck is quite the rig.

This is Thomas Gikas - Battalion Chief - Battalion 17. I clearly heard him say the word potato. That's all I got.


I think I've posted this poster before. A message, I suppose, to the college kids who are struggling a bit? I've got news for you, that guy having any sort of trouble as a student had nothing to do with what you're going through.


Turning around, I noticed there's still a little snow on the Santa Susana mountains. I was a little surprised. I've got a good chance of seeing rain both Wednesday and Thursday of this coming week. Gotta say, never thought I'd say, I'm pretty tired of the rain. Currently we're at 30.06" for the season. The average for seasons 1949 through 2021: 15.74".

I decided to ditch all the action street level and drove up the hill and wandered around there a bit. Throughout my time on the hill there were up to 10 crows all flying together and it appeared to me they were simply enjoying flying in and out of the currents on a rather breezy day.


There's a large relatively new Automotive Service Technology building on the campus. I spotted this car in the rear. Turns out this is a Kewet electric vehicle from Norway. In 1971, Knud Erik Westergaard started KEW Industries in Hadsund, Denmark. Since 2007, it has been manufactured under the name Buddy by Elbil Norge in Oslo, Norway. I think Docken should have this car. Still under consideration is my going down there an putting it in my pocket.


I don't believe I've ever seen one of these birds before, This is a western bluebird (Sialia mexicana). It's either a female or an immature bird.



House finch (Haemorhous mexicanus).


 Turkey vulture (Cathartes aura).


Sign of the Crow...








1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed the variety in this walk report. As always , pics are awesome . Anonymous Trey

    ReplyDelete