Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Once Upon a Walk Report - Part Eleven

 Once again, a trip back in time. A lot of photos here taking me back to circumstances surrounding these days, mostly wonderful but also a couple of very unpleasant events. Photos I have taken not only take me back to that moment, they take me back to everything else that was going on at the time. This is often an emotionally challenging experience. 

These images are from folder 15 (this is a reminder for me). Folder 15 contained 9,381 images from November 27th, 2016 up to April 1st, 2017. I purged 6,163 from the folder never to be seen again and I put aside 211 images for this blog post. Those were edited down to 62 items and I'm about to see how many ultimately get used. I'm going to post by the date taken. There are days here which were never presented in any previous posts.

121016 (that's the date format, month, day, year)

Bee on Salvia microphylla

121116. Not a great picture but I remember this crow very well, parading back and forth on a rooftop with cracker in beak, like, look at me and my cracker!

121716

Docken Duck

122016

Female Calypte anna

Eucalyptus 'Moon Lagoon'

122716

One of the more spectacular aerial quarrels I have witnessed between red-tailed hawks and American crows.




 123016

Female Calypte anna


Male Calypte anna

Red-tailed hawk
 011417

Northern mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)

Female Calypte anna

The same bird with a shift in lighting

Selasphorus sasin
 012017

Selasphorus sasin

Red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)
 012117

Eric Duck

Female Calypte anna

Selasphorus sasin (same bird, same spot as above, different day)

012717 and 012917 (two days of mostly male Allen's hummingbird "Rusty")

The only shot of a female Selasphorus sasin

Rusty





 
 
 020417

Female Calypte anna

She was regular for some time

Rusty...



Male Calypte anna




021117

Male Selasphorus sasin (not Rusty)

021217

The first image is a female Selasphorus sasin. Note the bit of spider web on her beak. That's a sign of nest building. It's very likely that the male in the image that follows was her mate. Males are promiscuous and beyond the actual 3 to 5 seconds of mating have no further involvement.



031917

These are all male Selasphorus sasin "not Rusty".






032617 (at home, wildflowers were everywhere)

Hoverfly on Calendula officinalis

Scarlet flax (Linum grandiflorum)

032917
Papaver rhoeas, Common poppy, Shirley poppy. This on was along the walkway to the front door but for the most part these flowers impressively took over the backyard. I put down (package said) 100,000 seeds this year and so far see no evidence of Papaver rhoeas plants. This might call for a bad review.


Last, this VERY accommodating (for both Docken and me) western tiger swallowtail butterfly (Papilio rutulus). Several of the images taken were published in this post on April 1, 2017. The butterfly visited on 033117.
 




 That's all. A couple of things got a little wonky with Blogger and formatting but I'm done messing with it. I'm not too thrilled about delving into folder 16 which contains 8,743 images from April 2, 2017 through October 29, 2017 but it will get done. Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. Every single one of 'em. But I have to admit that I remember well, and always loved, the proud crow and his cracker. A children's book in the making, perhaps? I as well get a kick out of Rusty giving the old, "pffft", salute. Lots of lovely memories of our stunning spring flowers, too. Thanks a bunch, Eric!

    ReplyDelete