Saturday, January 1, 2022

Today's walk report: Happy New Year, 2022

 Docken and I walked together this morning, via telephone. She took off for the Ventura Pier while I started out in the car for about 3/4 mile and hoofed it from there. Both of us reported a really beautiful day. I thought there were a surprising number of people out walking considering a number of things. I was only close enough to a few to exclaim, happy new year! 

Here are some of the pictures I took...

Entering the botanical garden. I hardly ever see lone American bushtits (Psaltriparus minimus) but here was one. Antsy little birds, kind of tough to photograph.



Hummingbirds are generally easier to work with, especially Calypte anna hummingbirds. Although this one was competing for territory with another female and pursuits were disruptive.

 I've only noticed this particular iridescence when the females are highlighted by direct sunlight.

Same bird...




Heading out of the garden. I thought this was cute. I'm pretty sure it will remain unoccupied.


 Onward, heading up the hill in search of birds of prey in higher grounds...


 


Canada geese came flying in, heading for the lower fields. There were 3 or 4 waves, one after the other, at least 100 birds in total.

Another crow vs. red-tailed hawk adventure. The crow is always the aggressor. However, on this occasion the hawk seemed to be doing a little taunting.


The other side of the hill revealed signs of SoCal recent weather trends. Yes snow but also, more locally, clear skies.


It was a wonderful walk with great company. I just mapped it out and was a little surprised it was 2.2 miles, it seemed much shorter. 

While I have hope for a much better coming year than the last two, there isn't a whole lot I can base hopeful wishes upon. 2020 was surreal and 2021 was like diarrhea on acid. I'll make a parting request... be nice. Be kind to others. And if you can't be nice or kind, please just shut the fuck up. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous... each and every one. But I can't stop staring at the Canada geese. M.C. Escher would be proud. It's absolutely beautiful. Thanks a bunch for your company, Eric. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete