Sunday, January 9, 2022

Today's walk report: 010922

 Turkey vulture couple. Cathartes aura.

Since turkey vultures mate for life I'm going to assume that these two are a couple. I took over 200 images and during much of that I imagined them talking to each other, once again thinking that they were thinking, Wish that dude with the camera would drop dead.





After the engagement with the turkey vultures I walked to the botanical garden. It was very quiet there so I decided to head up the hill. Along the way... There's always a mockingbird. Look familiar?

I saw a couple of hawks but no real opportunities for photographs so I headed home. Docken was on the phone with me so that was nice.

Coming back around the hill to the backside of where the turkey vultures were perched one was still hanging out. Did the other go for some take-out?

 


I thought to post something about this on Thursday, Jan. 6, when it happened but didn't get around to it so here's some filler from my early A.M. walk on January 6th.

Skunk!

Since walking early mornings once I felt comfortable again under the cloud of COVID back in May, I have had 7 skunk sightings, the well-known striped skunk (Mephitis mephitis). I realized after the first one that I had never seen a live skunk before and I'm not quite sure if I've seen a dead one either. During the first encounter the skunk was running (are they always running?) directly toward me from the opposite side of the street. I thought about it for a moment or two... it's gonna keep going wherever it's going and will ignore me. If I keep on my side of the street, it'll be fine. Right? Then I turned, walking fast, then I looked behind me and broke into a short little jog. Since that experience and after a few more I read up on skunks. I actually learned more than I care to remember so I'm not even going to mention any of that here. But, did you know that skunks can spray stink from their anal grands at a distance of 15 feet and have sufficient supply for five consecutive discharges? I've decided, while I think they are a very handsome animal, I'd rather not have these rendezvous. 

This was at 7:04 A.M. I suspect this little fellow was late getting home. Find the skunk...

I imagined... what if the homeowner opened the front door right about now?

“Without you I am not worth a scent.” ~ Pepé Le Pew


3 comments:

  1. I imagine it would prove a real stinker of a door prize. Beautiful birds, too, by the way. The vultures are stunning as they sun their gorgeous wings. Now I know why you were so excited. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey vultures definitely look like an old married couple !

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have skunks come through our garden regularly. We usually smell them late at night when we're inside but I've seen them walking along the path between the back and side patios in the early morning too. Those out late usually look to be juveniles. I can't say I've ever seen a turkey vulture here, though.

    ReplyDelete