Saturday, October 2, 2021

Today's walk report: 100221

According to the calendar, it's autumn. According to the weather, it's not. While it's only the second day of October, so far, the average high temperature for the month is 94.2º. However, it appears we might be cooling back down soon with a predicted high of 81º by Tuesday and then dropping into the 70ºs on Wednesday. I like autumn, it's the season for getting stuff done outside around here. 

For today my short trip to the local botanical garden provided early morning temperatures hovering right around 52º. That coolness made for a rather quiet experience in the garden but there was something else going on...

 Film production, my guess was a movie but it turned out to be Warner Brothers and some television series called, All American. It's a "sports drama." Allegedly it's been around since 2018. I never heard of it until I looked up some clues I saw. All I knew was, it was cramping my style. Fortunately, I only saw a security dude in one of those trucks and a few janitorial staff for the school milling about on the campus. Nevertheless, I assumed a bunch of people were going to show up and soon so I made haste. I parked a couple hundred feet behind the trucks and walked to the garden.

It was still a tad too cold for critters. I did see a couple of California desert cottontail rabbits (mostly hiding) and several mourning doves (mostly flying away) but then there were these guys. A small flock of 6 or 7 American bushtits (Psaltriparus minimus). They tend to not make picture taking very easy. They move rapidly as a group from bush to bush munching on a wide variety of tiny insects.


 I took a couple of laps around the garden, thought more about the people who were certainly arriving onto the campus soon and decided to head up the stairs, round the hill on the other side and head home. The entire journey on campus was 37 minutes.

A Cooper's hawk flew overhead at the top of the hill.


And about 50 yards later I noticed something in a tree. Now, with my 22 mm (give or take) ocular lenses, I wasn't too sure if this was a hawk or a piece of tree but with the camera lens set to 250 mm I went, ah-ha!

And onto the other side.


The red-tailed hawk didn't stick around for very long and I was fiddling with my sunglasses when it took flight.

Around the hill, heading for my car, more evidence of a potential onslaught of humans.


On the way out I saw what became the final clue as to the name of the television series. “All American: Homecoming,” which is set at the fictional Bringston University. "Homecoming" is apparently the incarnation of the show for the upcoming season. Well, good for them. The baseball field behind this had fallen into total disarray during Covid. It was completely screened off from view for this nonsense. I wonder if they fixed it up.

 If I could've only just closed my eyes...




1 comment:

  1. Sounds about like what passes for fall in Louisiana— not quite as hot as summer. We actually have a fair amount of filming going on here thanks to obscene tax incentives. Love me some Shakti !

    ReplyDelete