Thursday, February 2, 2012

Zen and the art of Zombie killing

 

Once upon a time I was, quite frankly, great at this sport. I was in fact more serious about archery than any other self-mastery in my life. It is without question a Zen discipline of precision and concentration--total absorption into the body's tension and release. Yesterday for probably the 4th time over many years my 21 year old son asked me to coach him in this. I'm not sure about his motivations though... He said he wants to be prepared for when the Zombies come.

 Shoot fast son.

The bow is an original Jennings Compound made to my specifications in 1971 (age 15) by Tom Jennings. Tom was the first bow maker to really modify the original Allen Compound for competitive archery. By the age of 16 I was one of the top 3 "young adult" archers for the state of California. At the time CA was one of the most competitive states in archery. Young Adult was a division specifically created for kids like me because we were too good to compete in youth divisions and it was too embarrassing to have us go against the adults.

Then there's this...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment