Tuesday, January 3, 2012

David rocks!

Viewed head on, the statue of David seems out of proportion. The upper portions of the statue appear somewhat larger than is natural. However, when viewed from below, the perspective creates the illusion of proportion. I drew the guitar properly to scale. However, I needed to scale down his right hand (picking) considerably to be in proper proportion to the guitar.

"In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it."—Michelangelo

5 comments:

  1. I guess stone(d) guitarists have no trouble holding up their axe - or maybe he'd appreciate a strap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was purely an aesthetic decision not to give David a strap... or was it laziness? I forget now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I use this picture of David on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. Please don't remove my little watermark and kindly send me a link to the post. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Thanks! I'll leave it there. The post will go up Jan 1, 2015. :o)

    ReplyDelete