Saturday, December 7, 2013

Today's walk report: 120713

Have a cigar!!!

I wasn't absolutely sure until I got home and checked out the pics. FINALLY! The little rugrat green lynx spiders have hatched! I admit and I'm serious, I was afraid this spider wasn't going to see her babies. The weather is changing we had frost night before last, rain today and tonight with wind chill we're supposed to hit a low of 19ยบ. Not that I know much about this spider's tolerance to cold wet weather, I am making some assumptions, in part because she was so far behind green lynx #2, whose eggs hatched about 10/18. But here they are. This was shot at 150mm with a Canon 500D closeup attachment. These spiders are tiny. Plus it was pretty windy so focus was not easy.


Mom, green lynx #1 seemed to be hiding behind the nest. It wasn't until I moved the branch of this bush that I saw her.


Serious spines on this Opuntia. Did you know that cactus spines are evolved leaves? If you don't then you haven't been paying attention because I've reported this before.


Another turkey vulture sighting. This is one really big bird.


With the rains today it gave a pretty clear shot of the wonderful community known as Chatsworth off to the north. Little boxes on the hillside...


Sunset was also nicer toward the northeast than it was to the west.


Hasta la vista, time to go home.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that Lynx#2 wasn't disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record, I know it gets confusing, this is green lynx #1 who just had her eggs hatch. Yeah, I cannot believe how much I anthropomorphized her existence.

    ReplyDelete