Sunday, October 13, 2013

Today's walk report: 101313

Out behind the barn, I was chewing on a piece of hay...

Not too exciting, it was a really nice walk though. Right now I just had a pizza delivered since I realized there's virtually no food in the house and I'm going to sack down on the couch and catch up on Dodgers' baseball.

This here is a 1947 Gibson, Model D. They don't make 'em like this anymore.


and this is a 1962 Oliver, 440. Pierce Jr. College in Woodland Hills, CA is the campus I walk on weekends. It started out as an agricultural college founded in 1947. Now, from what I understand, the academic east side of the school doesn't really want to have much to do with the agricultural/animal husbandry west side of the property.


This is something I've been expecting to see. The campus never had so much as a squirrel when I was a kid. Field mice and gophers sure but not more than that. Now the property is loaded with tree squirrels, ground squirrels and jack rabbits so natural predators like coyotes and snakes have naturally followed, all having been pushed out of outlying areas by homes expanding out of the valley and into the foothills and canyons.


That "snake area" is the local cross country course for most of the nearby High Schools. I ran it in H.S. We worried about tripping on gopher holes back then, not rattlesnakes.

Onto the snake area... This was called hernia hill back in the day. Funny it seemed a lot more daunting back then, of course we had already raced about a mile before getting here so that certainly made it rougher.


Not yet sunset. I decided I didn't want to wait this one out and I headed home.


No comments:

Post a Comment