Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Today's walk report: 100813

Preparing...


Sitting on the living room couch putting my shoes on to go walk the couch seemed so inviting. I could have easily lied down and surely would've fallen asleep within moments. You see I was awoken this morning about 3:00 A.M. by frenzied dogs somewhere in the not distant enough distance. We're talking dogs going completely bonkers over something. It was one of those waking experiences that comes to you in a surreal manner, dreamlike, yet very real on the level of--annoying. I was incapable of doing something simple like closing the window or moving the tower fan just outside one of the doors into the room to help cancel the barking with white noise. I didn't even know what room I was in at first so rational thinking was not sharply outlined. As the barking began to dissipate something even odder grabbed my attention and brought me to a level of concern.

Clink, clink, clink... like a screwdriver gently tapping on a long piece of pipe. I couldn't focus on exactly where it was coming from but it was close and trying to focus on that brought me into a fuller sense of consciousness. I got up, walked down the hall to my office, grabbed my infamous LED ultra bright flashlight and started scoping out the grounds of the house through the windows. I opened the front door, side door too, scanning all the way across the street. Nothing. But the sound had also stopped. Lucy T. Cat was on the bed with me and she wasn't giving a shit over anything more than me rustling the blanket she was on so let's figure it wasn't a prowler or anything more ominous. Lucy's good in that way, she's my little watch cat.


Anyway, I was up, 3:30 A.M. I was also 30-something hours behind on Sunday's playoff game 3 between the L.A. Dodgers and the Atlanta Braves. So I stayed up, had a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal  and watched baseball.

By 5:00 P.M. you might understand why the couch was so inviting but I pulled myself up and by the time I was .5 km into the walk I was zipping along just fine. I did crop off about 1 km but mostly for the sake of time so I can catch game 4 of the series. I'm so glad I stayed away from then news so the outcome wasn't spoiled.

Halloween is just around the corner but hey... no bogeymen for now, OK?


No comments:

Post a Comment