Saturday, September 28, 2013

Today's walk report: 092813

S.O.S.D.D.? You decide...

I look for things which are new and hopefully interesting but there isn't a lot of variety in the walks for the most part and there's a lot of sameness from day to day.

Yesterday I had this same green lynx spider on this same bush but isn't this different? First round entering the garden. The spider has itself a bee neatly bound to a small cluster of flowers.


Then on the way out of the garden I decided to see if anything else had developed and found the spider busy wrapping up another bee trapped in its web. Along with that ants and some small flies were trying to get in on the action.


You can see one fly coming in from the lower left corner on the image above but here's a closer shot of the bee and the activity there. Parasite flies from the top and ants were moving in from below.


This Japanese couple have become regulars in the garden. Always dressed like this. My guess is they are both in their 70s. I spoke to the man one day when the lotus flower was in bloom. Very nice, a very pleasant gentleman.


This isn't a great shot. I didn't have time to try and get more DOF but it's interesting in that I hardly ever see a pair of hummingbirds resting together. Hummingbirds are very territorial so these are obviously mates.


Here's the bird in the shadows and out of focus in the above image taken moments earlier.


The equestrian unit. Who wants to ride #13 today?

 
I saw 3 or 4 red-tailed hawks mostly on lampposts as I circled the campus for the last 4.5 km of the walk. I say 3-4 because I think one of them may have been following me. This one certainly got a good look at me.


Losing the sun and wanting to get home before it got too dark. Could this be the same hawk? This is 500 meters from the previous shot but I think it might be the same bird.

8.46 km but I was out for almost 2.5 hours. It was a lovely walk. Thanks for coming along.

No comments:

Post a Comment