Friday, September 27, 2013

Today's walk report: 092713

Friday, 5:30 P.M., out the door and you know what that means?

It means people are insane. At 5:30 the people who are still on surface streets are either desperately trying to get on the freeway, they recently got off the freeway or, by whatever route they needed to take, are in close proximity to home and that first beverage they are so desperate to have after a long and trying work week. Am I exaggerating? A little but according to a 2012 Gallup poll, Americans' drinking habits held steady in the past year, with 66% saying they consume alcohol and drinkers consuming just over four alcoholic drinks per week, on average. Beer continues to be Americans' preferred drink, although wine remains a close second, with liquor favored by 22%.

By the way, alcoholics are chronic liars so if they were polled that skews the results immensely.

But aside from that people just want to get home and do whatever they do on weekends and that makes walking amongst them seriously challenging at times. Just take my word for it, everyone operating a motor vehicle on Friday evening between the hours of 5:00 and 7:00 P.M. is driving whacked out of their skull.

Even old ladies, so just watch it, ok?


Anyway, aside from second guessing drivers and dodging vehicles it was a nice walk onto the local college campus with not much going on in the garden or elsewhere.

More of the same old on hummingbirds but I have a confession to make about some of my hummingbird pictures and my probably mis-identifying several Rufous hummingbirds (Selasphorus rufus)  as Allen's hummingbirds (Selasphorus sasin) from time to time. So I'm going to try and get that right. My "best of" the hummingbirds w.r. is here in case you missed it.  Most of the hummingbirds there which have tan feathering are Rufous, not Allen's.

For now on these I'm going to say both are Selasphorus rufus. A few problems I'm having are, doing this shit on the fly, not really caring that much and also other people mis-ID all the time so I can't always trust reference images. I do ultimately like to be accurate so I'll try to figure this out more precisely soon.



Then there was another one of these guys. Much more robust than the last one. This is another creature I was unsure of but now I'm positive it's a green lynx spider (Peucetia viridans). The plant might be Butterfly bush (Buddleja davidii). I checked with my expert plant advisor on this one before and came up empty. I get really accurate on this stuff when there's a sign posted in front of the plant. The guy that maintains the garden told me someone stole the sign making machine some years back and they apparently couldn't budget for a new one.


It was windy by the way, getting this close with stuff swaying isn't the easiest.


That's all folks. Thanks, as always, for joining me on my walk. If you have a positive ID on something I screwed up on, or for any other reason, please feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment