Thursday, August 15, 2013

Today's walk report: 081513

Flutter and buzz...

If you've never seen or been very close to a carpenter bee the first thing which will impress you if you are is their size. More than once I thought a brown one coming into peripheral vision was a baby hummingbird. The second thing that will impress you (if you're inclined to be close enough) is how loud the buzz they make can be.

First there was the same Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae) I've seen many times before but I think the lighting was better. It's coloration looked better saturated than in the last image I took.


Here's an overhead shot of the brown carpenter bee.


Here's the two of them. Once again it was a challenge with manual focus, shooting into this small thicket of reeds.


That's it. All the other shots got away. Looks like the college kids are done with summer session so I may have some extra days coming up with camera in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment