Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Today's walk report: 081313

My first car...

Before I get to that I'd like to mention I did over 10 miles on the bike shortly before leaving for my walk. I was trying to get everything done so I could relax and watch the Dodgers vs the Mets and that is top of the 3rd right now. I want to get this done and watch the game for a change.

This is what I looked like after the bike. I actually considered going out the door without changing my shirt. I didn't. I drank a 1/2 liter of water, changed my shirt, gave my ever aware of what's going on cat, Lucy, a treat and was gone. The walk felt GREAT after the bike too.

However, I was no longer, rainforest fresh.


On to the walk...

I've been past this house probably a few dozen times of late but this is the first time I've seen this car. In fact, it's the first time I've seen one of these in years. This is a 1970 or 1971 Volvo 1800E and outwardly it looks to be a great shape. The blue CA license plate indicates that the owner has had this car for quite awhile since that issue plate was introduced in 1970 and discontinued in 1982. 'Could have an original owner here.


I originally fell in love with this car in the early 60's with the P1800 and later the 1800S being the cars Roger Moore drove in the television series, The Saint. Yeah, I was just a little kid but there was a Volvo connection in the family with my mom driving a Volvo 544 (B18 engine) at the time.

Roger Moore as The Saint. I believe this is an 1800S.

I did not get my 1800E until the early 80s. I was a late bloomer to the driving experience. It's a long story in one way but also, more briefly, through college and into the end of the 70s, I didn't really need a car.

Here's my Volvo, parked right at the top of the hill on the campus I walk on weekend walk days, or whenever school is out. The car had a B20-E engine with manual transmission, 4-speed with an "automatic overdrive" and Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection. It was a peppy little ride. It also had wonderful legroom for its 6' 5" driver. With the front seat back I could sleep in it and I did, many times.


I also drew the 1800E for shits and giggles and to practice drawing in Adobe Illustrator in 2008. I think I draw better now and this reminds me I should find another nice project to practice again.


After spending a bunch of money on my 1800E, getting it all shiny and running well which included a major engine overhaul, it was a joy to drive for several years. I loved driving the local canyons to the pacific coast. Summers were a little rough with no A/C but I just opened everything. The sunroof messed up the lines some but it helped with the ventilation.

Anyway, a little reminiscing after seeing that car today... hmmm, I wonder if it's for sale???

No comments:

Post a Comment