Sunday, August 11, 2013

Today's walk report: 081113

Ribbet...

Finally got some shots of one of the bull frogs. There are two or three of these in the pond inside the botanical garden. I hear them communicating to each other all of the time but I only caught a partial glimpse of one in the last two years and it was an impossible photo. They like to stay well camouflaged in the cattail thickets. There's a lady who often visits the garden when I'm there who knew where to look and showed me. This is the difference between walking around and having a seat. There are several strategically placed benches in the garden but for the most part I find them to be a disadvantage for taking photos. I can stand in one place for some time but I can never keep my head still.

But first...

Not a great shot but I liked the bokeh and it's been apparent lately that there's not a lot of anything new in the garden to take pictures of. January-February is the best time for hummingbirds.


This is another one which loves getting into this particular thicket and making a decent photo near impossible. This is probably the 4th time I've attempted this same shot this season and this Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae) is starting to look pretty sorry compared to the 1st time.


I got few nice shots of this female Marine Blue (Leptotes marina) despite the breeze. Shooting a 300mm lens with a closeup lens a breeze seems like you're dealing with a gale.



here's another angle...


one more...


Here's the bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana)...


I was standing in stinky mud and was sinking for this so... one more...


No comments:

Post a Comment