Friday, May 3, 2013

Today's walk report: 050313

I am the god of hell fire and I bring you: Fire,
I'll take you to burn...


Whenever I see a fire that got started off the side of a freeway I immediately envision some asshole flicking his cigarette out a car window. I'll go out on a limb here a bit and say that 99% of all smokers are inconsiderate and irresponsible when it comes to their dirty habit. They're also totally self-righteous and obviously full of denial over the deleterious effects of their addiction. Seriously, smokers are about as sensible as a lemming on crack.

I quit a pack a day habit in 2003. I was an asshole too but at least I didn't think the world was my ashtray.

Anyway, to top off the fires burning to the west in Ventura County. I walked outside early this evening and it smelled like I was about 6' away from a campfire. I went back inside to check and found there was a fire blazing now off to the east in Glendale right off the 134 fwy. That's about 20 miles east of me. The air quality was certainly unhealthy so I decided on just a short, easy walk to the botanical garden and back although I ended up doing some extra to see if I could get above the valley enough to get a photo or two showing just how bad the air had gotten. I ended up doing about 3 miles/5km.


Meanwhile, back to the garden...
Blue Nolina (Nolina nelsonii) and Caesalpinia gilliesii.


Leucospermum (Pincushion, Pincushion Protea or Leucospermum) is a genus of about 50 species of flowering plants in the family Proteaceae, native to Zimbabwe and South Africa. It's also commonly grown in Australia.


Conejo buckwheat (Eriogonum crocatum), finally opening its buds, also seen below. I've been enjoying the unopened buds for weeks now.



This pretty lantana is the variety I was hoping to find to plant here at home but I've never seen it at a nursery.


One of several species of Kangaroo paws in the garden, up close.


The lovely Palo verde flowers once again.


Heading back and another look at the smoky sunset. The sun was red. I didn't try get the balance right because I didn't care and I didn't have the proper lens for this shot. That dot you see is the LAPD helicopter, seeminly on the lookout for any other sparks erupting.


No comments:

Post a Comment